15 Nov 5 Reasons to support SOS on #GivingTuesday
#BlackFriday, #ShopLocalSaturday, #CyberMonday, #GivingTuesday… There are so many voices out there asking for your money! It can be overwhelming and exhausting.
I realize that in the noisy world of consumerism, it can be hard to even think about giving money to support a nonprofit, even one about which you care deeply. Knowing that every dollar given to SOS is a sign of trust, a sign of being bought-in to our mission, we take the responsibility to steward those gifts well.
So, why is it a good investment of your money to make a donation to SOS this #GivingTuesday? Here are five reasons…
- Your gift helps meet real, tangible needs in our partner neighborhoods in Memphis through providing critical home repairs. In 2018 we were able to complete 42 total roof replacements for families and institutions in our partner neighborhoods. Families that have had to deal with living in a home that was not safe for years. And now, because of gifts like yours, these families are able to sleep a little more soundly at night, knowing that they do not have to worry about water coming in their home.
- Your gift provides opportunities for youth in our partner neighborhoods – opportunities like construction training and job training, employment opportunities, discipleship opportunities, and opportunities to give back to their own communities through rebuilding homes. Essentially, your gifts are providing multiple opportunities for youth to break out of a cycle of poverty and live life using the gifts God has given them to support themselves and their families.
- Your gift gives us a platform to educate and equip thousands of volunteers each year with the vision and tools needed to be ambassadors for loving and caring for those on the margins. The impact we have goes well beyond our partner neighborhoods because those volunteers who spend time with us are launched out back into their own communities with a burden to continue the gospel work of serving others over themselves wherever they are.
- Your gift plays a vital role in supporting the mission of SOS. SOS depends on donations from individuals to cover a large portion of all our programmatic expenses. Did you know that camper tuition (the fees paid by volunteers during our spring or summer camps) only covers about half of our expenses in a year? We must raise the rest of our budget through churches, foundations, and individuals just like you.
- Your gift undergirds our efforts to ensure that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is clearly heard and seen in all we do. We really believe that to proclaim the full gospel (that Jesus came, lived, died, and was resurrected to reconcile ALL things to himself – Colossians 1:20), our words of that good news inevitably must be accompanied by deeds pointing others to that reality – that Jesus came to, as he said as he launched his public ministry, “proclaim liberty to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor” (Luke 4:18-19). By supporting SOS financially, you become a part of that mission.
Will you join with us in fulfilling the mission God has called us to here at SOS? Will you be a part of ensuring that the gospel is proclaimed in word and deed in our partner neighborhoods and beyond through your financial support? And will you help spread the word by sharing with others you know who might desire to be a part of this work as well?
Click the link to give: https://sosmemphis.org/donate/